NOTE: Prior to connecting any wiring, and Wiring Diagram
disconnect the vehicle's power source at
1. Determine the location for installing
the rocker switch. Some points to
consider when selecting the switch
Size of the hole. The switch
requires a hole 7/8" wide x 1 7/16"
Space behind switch. Allow
enough space to mount the switch
and attach the wire connectors
from the back.
NOTE: Leave a little extra length of wire
at the switch to allow for removing the
switch (if necessary), and at the step to
provide slack in case the motor must be
2. Cut two motor leads, one battery
lead, and one ground lead out of 10-
gauge, braided multi-strand copper wire
to the appropriate lengths as determined
by your switch location.
3. Cut two 4 inch, 12-gauge jumper
wires. On one end attach a female
spade connector. Insert the other end,
along with one end of the motor lead
into a female space connector and
crimp into place. Repeat with other
4. Attach a yellow female spade
connector to one end of the battery lead
and ground lead.
5. Cut the Packard connector off the
wires coming from the step motor and
strip wire back approximately 3/16".
6. Slip a spacer into one of the supplied
butt connectors, insert the red 15-gauge
wire coming from the step motor into the
side of the butt connector that has the
spacer and crimp the butt connector and
spacer firmly into place. Repeat this
process for the yellow 16 gauge wire.
See Figure 1.
7. On the ground lead connect the ring
terminal to the opposite end of the
space connector. Attach it to the switch
and ground. A bare metal ground
connection is necessary to ensure
proper step operation.
8. Connect the two motor leads to the
terminals on the back of the rocker
switch. See Figure 1.
9. Route the two motor leads to the
motor. Strip the wires back
approximately 3/16" and insert them into
the appropriate motor lead butt
connector. Crimp the butt connector
10. Install the 30-amp, in-line fuse on
the power lead as close to the battery as
possible. Cut the lead in two and butt
connect the in-line fuse into place. See
11. Mount the rocker switch. Heat shrink
any exposed connections.
12. Reconnect the vehicle battery.
13. Connect the power lead to the 12-
volt DC battery. Do not attach this lead
to any other pre-existing 12-volt circuit.